Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The 5 Best Things About Being an Autism Mom (or Dad)


T minus 5 days & Counting 



Every Autism Mom knows that the Autism life isn't all rainbows, butterflies, & cotton candy. Between doctors appointments (neurologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, developmental or nutritional pediatricians, etc.), therapy (ABA, Play, Floor, Speech, Occupational, Physical, Feeding, etc.), and dealing with meltdowns, sensory issues, dietary concerns, learning difficulties, social problems, communication problems, and any other crazy thing that might arise, we don't have much time for ourselves. 

There are days when Aiden is in sync with any other child his age and because of that, life is simple, relaxing, and happy.Then there are THOSE days when he decides to unleash his wrath on anyone who happens to get in his way. THOSE days are filled with anxiety, sadness, frustration, and sometimes helplessness. It can be a very taxing lifestyle and some days I want nothing more than to have a normal (whatever that is) existence. The feeling is short lived and I snap out of it pretty quickly. 

They say that anything worth having is never easy, and that applies to parenting a child with Autism. I wouldn't trade Aiden or this life for anything in the world! Even though it's very stressful, there are some pretty cool things about being an Autism mom. 

Here are what I consider to be the best things about being an Autism Mom:

5) The Holiday Feast - More For Me!

I remember when I was a little girl there was always some kind of argument over the last slice of Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving or the one remaining dinner roll during Christmas dinner. Since Autism brought Picky Eater Syndrome along as it's sidekick (they seem to be partners in crime), Thanksgiving and Christmas meals are plentiful. My little man eats the same few foods, over and over and over again and traditional holiday fare does not trip his trigger. I despise Aiden's pickiness most of the year, but the holidays are a totally different story! His pickiness means that there is more yummy food for me... and I'm all right with that! 



4) Vacation Perks That Make Typical Mom Jealous

The last time Aiden's dad and I went to Disneyland, it was a week before Halloween and the place was PACKED! There were so many people that you couldn't see the pavement in front of you. We recently became aware of how amazing Disney is at accommodating children with autism. Simply ask your doctor to write a letter indicating that your child has autism and present the letter to Guest Services. They will in turn give you a pass to make life at Disney a little easier. The pass that you receive is dependent on the disability and level of accommodation needed. This usually means you don't have to wait in line for rides or shows. Cast Members will help you find a quick escape to a quiet place in the event that your child has a major meltdown. There are some pretty impressive perks that you can take advantage of as an Autism Mom (or Dad!) and I recommend that if you have the means to do it, do it! No waiting, escape routes for meltdowns, and Cast Members who are willing to do just about anything to make sure you enjoy your visit. I'll take that over the vacation without the perks any day of the week!



3) Life is NEVER Boring When Autism is Involved

A Saturday morning family breakfast where the entire clan is chowing down on eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, sausage, and pancakes.

A one hour trip to the mall with only a little bit of whining from the kids. They stop as soon as you give them "The Look" and the rest of the trip is whine-free and uneventful.

A fun day out with other mommy friends and their kiddos. A trip to the zoo, a museum, or an amusement park.

A monthly romantic dinner date with your honey while the kid(s) are at home with your teenage niece who loves to babysit.

Sounds pretty normal right? Well it's not my normal and I'm guessing that if you are reading my blog, it probably isn't your normal either.


Family breakfast is just breakfast. Aiden eats carbs and dairy exclusively, so it's usually a frozen Gogurt and toast for him and I grab a piece of fruit as we head out the door to get him to school.

There are no hour-long trips to the mall. Whining would be a JOY for this mom. In the whining childs place we will insert Aiden on a bad day: angry, screaming, pouting, kicking, spitting, biting, and when he's in that state of mind, it can last for hours upon hours. Unless the trip is aimed to please him and him alone, I do my best to fly solo when hitting the mall.

Outings are impossible for the same reasons  but it's more painful because the friends with "typical" children relax because their kids are doing as they are told and even though most are hyper, they have self control. On the other hand yours is on the floor, kicking, screaming, and spitting. Becoming upset each and every time somebody diverts from his very narrow plan of action. It's a lonely feeling.

Weekly dates are also non-existent because very few people that I have met are even trustworthy enough to leave Aiden with. Truth be told, I don't think most people would know what to do during a hardcore meltdown.... Heck, there are still times when I don't know what to do when that happens!

These things might  all seem to be negative, but one thing they aren't is boring! And really, it's not so bad. In any one of the situations above I have felt flustered, stressed, and outright crushed, but when I look at the bigger picture it's pretty exciting! I've learned what we can and can not do as a family. And when I think about it, normal would drive me nuts! I'm used to our crazy, hectic, never predictable life! If everything was neat, tidy, clear cut, and wrapped up in a bow I would go insane! You learn to love the life you've been given. Our chaos is beautiful and it keeps us on our toes.

2) TV is an acceptable babysitter hobby for your child


TV is the ONE and only thing that has always worked to help Aiden put an end to a severe meltdown. Even when he was a baby, the only thing that would ever soothe him during a marathon screaming fit was the television. I used to thank God every day for the invention of Baby Einstein! In the typical family, too much TV will "rot your brain" and it's something that many people I know shun. In the autism family, it's necessity. I've had several doctors and therapists agree with that observation - at least in Aiden's case. It can also be used as a learning tool, it can be a bridge that will help you to connect with your child, and it might even help the child link his internal world and the external world together.


1) Autism has made me a better person


I've always had a big heart and had compassion for others, but after the Autism diagnosis, I've grown in ways that I never thought possible. I see the world from a new perspective and am much more open minded as a person. I now can empathize with individuals who have any kind of disability, which ultimately molded me into generous person who enjoys giving to those who are less fortunate than myself.

Aiden has helped me to see that speaking is not the only way to interact  with people. In fact there are many other forms of communication that can be much more powerful! He has opened my eyes to details in the world around us. Details that I would have overlooked before. Details that make this world a more beautiful place to live in.

Autism has made me realize that life is not about the tomorrows, but is really about the todays. Today's successes. Today's accomplishments. Today's victories. Tomorrow may be a continuation of success or it may be full of failures and regression. As an Autism Mom, you need to be prepared for ANYTHING, because the Autism Train can be one wild ride! We should focus on our child's strengths and celebrate our child's achievements religiously, no matter how big or small. Things change from day to day when Autism is involved, and that's exactly how we have to live our life. Day by day. You can plan your future finances, your future career goals, but you can not plan the future for a child with Autism. I do my best to enjoy the beautiful moments of today and hope for more tomorrow, but I go with the flow and take life as it comes.

Autism has helped me to find patience. Patience that was buried so deep down inside of me that I didn't think it existed. Autism has helped me to become the person I always wanted to be. Sure, there are times when I am envious of parents who have their typical kids and their typical lives, but if I ever was given an opportunity to switch places, I would have to politely decline. The Autism life can be crazy, but it's now what I call home.

I'm dying to know YOUR 5 favorite things about being an Autism mom! Please follow our blog and share your Top 5 in the comment box below!






2 comments:

  1. God has a purpose for our lives. I think you found your purpose my dear. Helping those that need encouragement when having a child with autism. Your blog has even encouraged me. *felisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet thing to say! <3 Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete